He did very well at his check-up today. First he got weighed and measured by the Tech. He is on the tall side for his age, 33&1/2 inches which puts him in the 75-90th percentile. I'm still trying to get used to percentiles. He's average to above average in weight and head circumference (50-75th percentile): 26lbs. 12oz. and 48cm respectively.
The Tech asked me about his speaking and so I had Bren do his "tricks" where I asked him what a doggie says and he goes, "oooh oooh" in a low voice and then what a kitty says where he makes the same noise in a high-pitched voice. Also, what a car says: "vvvvvv". The Tech said that was cute but it doesn't count as words. I then asked Bren, "Who am I?" and he said "Mum" and then I asked him "who is that?" and pointed to the Tech to which he replied, "Mum." "Who"="Mum" at this point.
We repeated this for Dr. Rouse who is such a great pediatrician. He has such a way with kids and a very patient and calm manner about him. Bren loves him. Dr. Rouse says Bren's pushing the envelope for normal but to keep working with him and to keep track of any progress we see him making. He said he's not concerned about him yet, but if this continues till his 24-month check-up, then he'll recommend therapy. He is putting in a referral for a hearing test just to make sure. We know Bren can hear as he often races to the front window when he hears a tractor coming down the street.
Bren also passed his "autism evaluation" that they are doing now. I had to fill out many forms about his development and interaction with us and others and he passed with flying colors.
Bren was very loopy and being a big ol' goofball which only increased once Daddy came in from his meeting. I told Bren Daddy was going to try to stop by after his meeting but I don't think he believed me because of the HUGE grin he got on his face when Vin came in. Dr. Rouse was very kind and took a few extra minutes to review with Vin what he'd already told me so that Vin was in the loop.
Vin then took Bren to get his 2 shots, DTaP and Hep-A. I had to pick-up my prenatals at the pharmacy so we decided to kill 2 birds with one stone as it were. I think Vin would have preferred if we had done "Rock, Paper, Scissors" over who had to be the "meanie" and hold Bren during his shots but, in my defense, I've done it the past 3 times with his 12-month shots and his 2 flu shots that he got alongside his buddy Josh Lewton. At this point, Bren's very forgiving about shots and doesn't hold it against us any longer than it takes to put the band-aid over the shot sites.
He doesn't get any more shots till he's 4 and then we'll see how he reacts! I have a feeling we won't get off so easy then.
Vin had to get back to work so after several hugs which Bren just learned to do last week, he went his way and we went ours. I hadn't had breakfast yet so I took Bren to BK and thought I'd treat him to French Toast sticks which he liked once before. I let them cool down till they were Brennan-temperature (cold) and then offered them to Bren and he shook his head "No." He's been doing that since he was 15-months and it's not random. He knows he means "NO" and you aren't going to convince him otherwise. I offered him his Cheerios that I had packed and he started eating them and then decided he was done and up-ended the container. I caught it before all of the Cheerios fell out, but there was a trail of Cheerios that followed us from where we were sitting, out the door, to the bathroom, to the car and in the stroller. It seemed like Bren was making sure we could find our way back if need be.
He did very well as we went to get the car washed and was very curious about the automatic car wash. It was only his 2nd time and he wasn't quite sure what to make of it but wasn't scared at all. Then we went and checked the mail and he was all smiles and giggles as he LOVES the post office boxes and turning all the dials at his level. We then went to the grocery store (commissary) and made it down 3 aisles before finally having the melt-down I expected much sooner. So I did a marathon grocery-run, grabbed a bottle of Children's Motrin from the shelf because of all things to forget the day your child is getting shots, Ibuprofen or Tylenol is not one of them I'd recommend, got rock star placement in line and got checked out quickly and to the car where I gave him some of the Motrin. Then, I realized the 2nd most important thing NOT to forget is a pacifier as he screamed the whole way home and would not settle down.
I took him upstairs right away and he's been napping ever since so we'll see how he does the rest of the day. Poor little guy. The worst part is that I had to wake him up this morning for his appt. and he was in the BEST of moods, all chipper and goofy and giggly. If it weren't for the silly dr. appt. and shots he'd probably have had one of his best days EVER. Boy did I ever blow that one!
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Well, what else are parents for, if not to torture our children and make them hate us?? That means we're doing our job, right??
ReplyDeleteWhen he turns 4 and has to have more shots, just promise him a sucker or chocolate or a new toy if he's brave, and tell him the shot is really helping him not get sick. Might work...
MISS Y'ALL!!!! Give Brenn a BIG hug for me and Josh! I wish he were here to play with Josh...he's gotten very into playing with his little foam swords that I got him...He and Brenn could "fence" together!
Lil Natalie has her shots coming up at her 3 month appt....I think I will be crying more than her. Bren sounds like he did pretty well...I bet having Daddy there helped. How are you doing your last few weeks? Hang in there...We are thinking of you all.
ReplyDeleteLove hearing about Brennan's checkup, Shannon!!! You are such a hoot! You sure know how to make going to the Dr. a fun experience. And yes Dr. Rouse is awesome! We love him too.
ReplyDelete