Here's the stats:
Height: 39.25" (90th %tile per the dr./75-90%tile per BabyCenter's Growth Calculator)
Weight: 34.4 lbs (50th %tile per dr./75-90%tile per " " ")
Head Circumference: 19.5" (50th %tile per BabyCenter's Growth Calculator--doc didn't say anything about this).
A little over a month ago, we had him to the doctor a couple different times b/c I needed some more recommendations for him for speech therapy and they took his weight and height at that time and he was 35lbs. and 39" both times so he's grown a 1/4" since just then. He hasn't eaten his dinner in a couple of days so that would explain any "loss" of weight. I'm a mean mommy and am not giving him his afternoon snack to try to goad him into at least TRYING the food I put before him but no dice. Oy! Seriously! What kid does NOT like Pineapple Pizza??? Alex chugged it down...of course. Bren just picked the parmesan cheese off the top of it and then wanted more parmesan so I tried to make a deal with him to eat the actual pizza and then I would give him more cheese. Nope. No way. No how. Erg.
Bren's visit to the doctor couldn't have been better. Alex's accompanying meltdown couldn't have gone much worse, but the dr. must have kids b/c he was laughing at Alex's theatrics. He was a GREAT dr. and chatted with me for as long as Alex would allow, asking me all manner of questions to make sure I didn't have any underlying concerns with Bren's health. I did manage to tell him about Bren's styes that he gets very often on his right lower eyelid and he was able to relay information to me that it's a clogged hair folicle and happens quite frequently but they are not of any concern really. He was able to assess that Bren goes at "110 miles per hour generally throughout the day" but that if I could, "pin him down when he gets one, a warm washcloth for 20 mins. could take care of it, otherwise just let it go on its own." The latter is what I've had to do b/c his initial assessment of Bren's typical mean average speed was only underestimated by about 7 mph. ;)
Alex, who had been wriggling and writhing in my arms during the entire conversation, had taken to trying to jettison himself out of my arms by all manner of thrusting maneuvers which I only now realize I'm quite adept at predicting and compensating for. So, without further ado, the dr. noted that he better get on with the examination of Brennan before Alex did indeed outwit me and thus BECOME a patient at DGMC himself.
Dr. Davis put his stethoscope on to which Bren lifted his shirt. Dr. Davis had to compose himself b/c he said he's never had such a willing participant at the ripe old age of 3. Brennan cooperated with every bit of the examination except the ghastly tongue depressor. Dr. Davis quickly tossed that and just had Bren stick his tongue out and say, "AHHH" and Bren did so very willingly as we have him do that every night for teethbrushing. Bren was old hat at all that was required during the exam. Dr. Davis sincerely stated that Bren's was the best 3 yr. old exam he'd ever done and that he wished Bren could teach a class on how to be a cooperative patient. I gave him a "questioning eye" but he said, "No really!"
He was very thorough and even asked how Bren's speech therapy was going and I told him the plan we had in place. I was impressed because I did not have to tell him Bren was in Speech Therapy in the first place. He already knew because, of all things, he'd reviewed his patients' case files earlier that morning. The only thing he didn't have accurate about Bren was his birthdate. He thought it was 11/30 but that was a later appt. VERY VERY rare in the military medical system. People of America only THINK they want universal health care. If they only knew what they were in for! Be careful what you wish for! But I have to say, this doctor was a gem!
He also reassured me that Bren was exactly where he needed to be and that there are NO problems with his motor skills, fine or gross. He said speech problems with no underlying causes are VERY common these days which was nice to hear because every evaluation Bren has comes with the standard, "what ELSE is wrong with him that's just lurking beneath the surface?" That's a very dark and discomfiting thought process for a parent to wade through. And not that there might not be something else, but I'm not going to fear it. I'm just going to deal with it, whatever it may be, with the common sense the Good Lord has provided me. I'm the one that knew from the start that Bren needed Speech Therapy, but I hoped against hope that each month would bring some magical moment where he would just start saying things properly and I let that rule me for far too long and didn't push the issue when the doctors said to just "wait and see." I listened to them and not to the voice inside so I waited and waited and waited.
And Bren's not magically started talking differently. He is now making an effort where he wasn't before. He didn't want to think anything was wrong with how he said things either. Something he and I had in common. He still says things the same way he'd been doing, but when we correct him, he takes his time and says certain words properly. "Off" is still automatically pronounced, "Oss" but when we say, "No Bren it's O-F-F" he looks at us and then says, "OFF." It's hard for him to wrap his mouth around, but he makes a great effort and we're so proud of him for TRYING now and working WITH us and not being so independent and STUBBORN! Woozers is he ever so. I do know where he gets it so I'll just leave it at that. ;)
Unfortunately, the sun rises and sets by how Bren does ANYTHING for Alex so now Alex is saying, "OSS" too. Alex though is so far ahead of where Bren was at this age speech-wise and is already wanting to learn his letters which Bren is just getting to now so I think I'm going to have to get busy with looking into doing some Homeschooling here pretty quickly because they just are so eager to learn and enjoy it so much. Alex wants to do anything and everything Bren does so I might as well take advantage and delve into teaching letters, numbers, colors, shapes and the basics because they just are both such little explorers! God couldn't have timed them more PERFECTLY! That they would both be able to help and teach each other at such a young age and share such a sweet and special bond continues to amaze me and brings such joy and warmth to my heart. If Alex is napping and his nap is going a bit longer than normal, Bren asks, "Alex wake up?" And Alex chases Bren around and if Bren has 2 race cars, one in each hand, then Alex must too.
I wish that went along with the eating routine but in the reverse where if Alex eats something, then Bren would too, but alas, it is not so. Erg. The "books" say if one child won't eat something, pretend like you're going to give it to the other. That doesn't work with Bren as evidenced tonight when I came in to find him spooning the contents of his plate onto Alex's High Chair tray. Hey, made perfect sense. Alex was eating the grotesque and inedible food-type thing I'd put before them so Bren must have thought that if he ate it fast enough, I'd think both of them had eaten their supper. I let it play out a bit and did see Bren feeding it to Alex at one point. Alex had had enough and started tossing it on the floor and that's when I intervened. Probably wrong of me to let it go on so long, but it was quite a sight and one I'll treasure for always. Those 2!
I just can't have one without the other!
Sorry for all the ramblings but I just find myself so COMPLETELY blessed this Christmas season, not just for what God did by sending His only begotten Son, knowing that Jesus's tiny baby self was to take on the sins of the whole world so that we--each and every ONE of us--could claim Jesus as our Saviour and thus ensure our place in the kingdom of Heaven living with our Heavenly Father once and for all, but also for those 2 sweet and precious boys that He sent and entrusted to us to keep and care for for as long as we draw breath just HUMBLES me and as Vonda would put it, "blesses my SOCKS off!"
Love and Peace to you all this Blessed Season,
Shannon:)
Monday, December 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment