Friday, October 29, 2010

Fall Fun!!!

Today was trick-or-treating at Vin's Squadron. In Bren's almost 4 yrs. of life, he has been a pilot 3 out of 4 Halloweens. Mind you we're not trying to push him down a "certain" career path. The boys just look so stinkin' adorable in the mini-flight suits that we can get through the Exchange and Vin can get them the correct patches so Voila! Also, I'm all for saving a few dollars so Alex gets Bren's hand-me-downs and there ya go. Guess what he'll be when he's the size Bren is now? You guessed...a pilot! Oh and for the record, I'm not hearing any complaints...well for the most part.

I, in my infinite mommy wisdome, decided to give the boys a nap before today's festivities. Worked for Alex but BIG mistake where Bren was concerned. Neither Vin nor I appreciate being woken up and thus far Bren has followed suit but for some reason beyond any spark of common sense, I decided to put him down for a nap today.

He was fit to be tied. You'll notice in the following photos not 1 singular, solitary smile graces his face. My fault. We did have a bit of a fight to get him into the flight suit but not for the suit's sake itself, just for the fact that he wanted to go back to bed and I wasn't having it as the clock was a-tickin'. Poor Bren.

Alex is used to being woken up randomly and without reason so you'll see he's smiling. He's the 2nd kid and thus was not pampered like Bren was as a baby.

The trick-or-treating was somewhat fun but the commander had issued a memo that the best decorated office would get a free leave pass so they pulled out all the stops which terrified those 5 and under.

Bren's almost 4 and skeptical like Vin so he at least entered the ghoulishly decorated offices, but left me to retrieve the candy from the various skeletons, mummies, zombies, oh and a jason from Friday the 13th in flight suits. I've had my fill of fog machines for the next year as I had to get up close and personal with a few of them to snag the boys some candy from the cauldrons and got blasted in the face a few times. All in a day's work for a mom.

Where was Vin in all of this? Consoling a very scared and terrorized Alex. Some of the offices had ghosts or ghouls on wires flying back and forth. That was NOT his cup of tea.

What was I doing while my baby boy was screaming in abject horror? Laughing hysterically of course. Guess there'll be no "Creature Double Feature" in his future! I cut my teeth on that stuff. Good thing I'm a "Reformed" horror nut. Otherwise I'd really have to start stashing some cash for Alex's therapy bills later on. ;)

But he survived and the boys got to chomp on some their "booty."

Getting the patches adjusted and sippy cups stowed away.
Alex and Vin smiling. Bren conscientously objecting to the picture taking.
Is anyone looking at the camera?
Dad doing his scary face. Alex looking at Vin like, "What ARE you doing?"
Alex smiling like, "Aw shucks Dad. You're so silly."
Vin trying to get Bren to smile and Bren ALMOST cracking but he was DETERMINED to NOT smile. I don't know WHERE he gets his stubbornness from. ;)
Taking candy in a less scary office.
We had to INSIST that Alex NOT give his candy BACK and so here he looks like he's in deep thought, "You mean, I just show up and you give me candy and that's it??? NO WAY!"
Another less scary office so Alex charged right in.
Bren had 2 mini bags of candy corn and was polishing off a mini bag of M&Ms so I decided some broccoli and carrots were in order. Alex only had 1 mini bag of Skittles and had no problem transitioning to broccoli. He eats ANYTHING. And very happily for me, Bren joined him in eating the rabbit food once he was done with the M&Ms. In this pic, I asked them both to smile and they both had full mouths so they're looking at me like, "Are you crazy???"

3 comments:

  1. soooo stinking cute :) I am sure if Nattie had a crack at them she would want to give them hugs hugs...she always wants to hug her friend justin..so cute !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! I love the flight suits... but can't convince Josh yet that that's a fun thing to dress up in for Halloween. And Sam would be wearing Josh's dino costume, but a)it's in horrible shape and has gone through Josh and Josiah already, and b)it's really just too small... so I found a $8 kangaroo costume at TRU on sale! I'm ok with that! And Josh is wearing one of his dress up outfits he got for his birthday, so that was easy and cheap... and Tim is wearing a pumpkin sleeper and a little hat, so that's that!
    Oh, and btw, I'm super jealous of your kids eating veggies... I tried to get mine to eat some of the stuff we had at ours... it wasn't even healthy, but they still wouldn't even try it! So count your blessings with those two!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be too jealous. They only seem to like broccoli and sometimes will eat carrots. They don't like peas or anything else. And Bren refused to eat the pizza so he had candy and broccoli for his dinner. Balanced meal right? NOT! Sam's the cutest Kangaroo EVER! And we did the pumpkin sleeper for Alex for his 1st Halloween. So cute!

    ReplyDelete